Leading up to Valentine's Day, I am going to be reviewing the 5 Languages as it relates to STL Heart Cards inspired by the book The Five Love Languages: Based on the this best selling book by Gary Chapman, The 5 Love Languages are: Quality Time, Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch and Giving Gifts.
Do you have a partner, friend or family member who receives love as thoughtful and creative gift giving. The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman shares what this love language actually looks like as it can easily come off as materalism:
"Don’t mistake this love language for materialism; the receiver of gifts thrives on the love, thoughtfulness, and effort behind the gift. If you speak this language, the perfect gift or gesture shows that you are known, you are cared for, and you are prized above whatever was sacrificed to bring the gift to you. A missed birthday, anniversary, or a hasty, thoughtless gift would be disastrous – so would the absence of everyday gestures. Gifts are visual representations of love and are treasured greatly."
Here a few ways I think you can show love to someone who shows love in this way:
1. Consider purchasing a book/online course/local workkshop on a subject they are passionate about or are eager to learn more about.
2. Give them a gift certificate to their favorite yoga studio or gym that they have often mention in conversation.
3. Surprise your loved with a massage with his/her/they favorite massage therapist.
4. Purchase tickets to his/her/they favorite band's concert. Be sure that it is a band that they have mentioned in conversation and they haven't directly ASKED you for it. Remember, this is about paying attention to things that are special to them that they regularly discuss and talk about throughout your relationship.
5. Surprise them with dinner or drinks at the bar/restaurant where you hung out for the first time.
There are an assortment of STL Heart Cards that target the important intimacies of human connection. The STL Heart Card left, titled "Rise Up" would be ideal for your social justice advocate who works passionately to bring equality to all people and see the unique qualities of all humans of all colors. You can purchase the "Rise Up" card online here
The Vintage Enthusiast
For the Gift Receiver in your life that has a flair for all things rustic and/or vintage style, we suggest the STL Heart Card of the Vintage Dodge Truck that finds its way around my neigbhorhood.